List:       gtk-app-devel
Subject:    Re: Get the default font in Gtk3
From:       rastersoft <raster () rastersoft ! com>
Date:       2018-03-29 14:12:50

>> [get the Gtk font type and size]
>>
>> Ops, sorry: I'm reworking a backup utility that I wrote (cronopete), and
>> I added a timeline with the backups (you can see an screenshot at
>> http://www.rastersoft.com/cronopete_screenshot.png ). As you can see, at
>> the left is the timeline and it has the days, months and years. I think
>> those should use the same typography than the standard Gtk widgets, but
>> reducing the size to 2/3. The same for the titles in each "pseudowindow"
>> (they have a visual effect: they go forward and backwards when you move
>> through the timeline).
>>
> ...I must be missing something here...
> You can change font size in a layout. The scrolling might be tricky, but
> just eyeballing it, sounds like something that can be done by showing
> the layout twice at different coords in different clips
> (cairo_save/cairo_restore brackets).
>
> So...?
>
> (Only thing I'm not quite sure about right now is if gtk fully initializes
> font description in a layout, cause I vaguely recall that it might
> not... though maybe that was just wrt. theming API...)

Mainly the problem is that I'm using cairo_show_text... I presume that
what you say is that I should replace all that with Pango... Now I have
some problems: first, I'm using vala and I can't find the
"get_pango_layout" from a widget. It exists "create_pango_layout", so I
suppose that this is the call I need to create a layout. Now the big
question is: does ANY widget return the right layout, or I must use a
widget designed to contain text (like a Gtk.Label) to get that layout,
paint into it, and paste it in the final Cairo canvas (which won't be
the same canvas than the Gtk.Label from which I created the layout)?

Thanks.