List:       gtk-app-devel
Subject:    Re: looking for a program....
From:       Gary Kline <kline () thought ! org>
Date:       2012-02-17 20:42:26

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 07:37:17PM -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:37:17 -0700
> From: Michael Torrie <torriem@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: looking for a program....
> To: gtk-app-devel-list@gnome.org
>
> On 02/16/2012 12:50 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
> >> I'm quite sure that what you're looking for is for some screen reader &
> >> speech synthesis solution, like Orca [1], isn't it?
> >> If not, or Orca doesn't fit your needs, you can deal with speech-dispatcher
> >> in a easy way from your application. Controlling what to say, pitch, rate,
> >> language, etc.
>
> Orca is not what you are looking for.  Orca is a screen reader to assist
> the blind and seeing-impaired.
>
> It is not there to act as a voice for a person who cannot speak, though
> I suppose it could be used as such, but that is not its primary purpose.
>

> > 	i spent the entire day looking for what WAS in ubuntu 10.04
> > 	and 10.10, but must have changed with 11.*.  it has a config
> > 	panel when the program began that let you set things such as
> > 	you mention: pitch, rate, volume, ... but this program is no
> > 	longer available.
> >
> > 	I installed a bunch of what i thought might be helpful
> > 	tools, and now  when i run VBC, I get the following
> > 	warnings:
>
> The warnings are probably harmless to your VBC program, though they
> indicate something isn't quite right with the screen reader stuff
> installed.  Hopefully others can shed light on how to fix these messages
> that will probably come up when trying to run any GTK program.  You
> might try logging out and back in, or rebooting.  It could be that the
> daemons required to implement the screen reader just aren't loaded yet.

	synaptic was also broke--i tried to install the missing
	packages that way (and thru apt-get).  to solve the synaptic
	issue took quite awshile and involved pasting a string of
	commands that only a ubuntu genius could grok.  after that,
	tho, my VBC  ran just fine.

	nutshell: [??]

	...and now back to my options quandry!

 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
     Voice By Computer (for Universal Access): http:/www.thought.org/vbc
          The 8.57a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org
             Twenty-five years of service to the Unix community.