List:       gtk-app-devel
Subject:    Gtk button strangeness
From:       Brian Tietz <sdbtietz () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-07-27 0:20:05

I'm having trouble with GtkButtons.  They should (and usually do) size themselves to \
be 27 pixels high with my currently selected GNOME theme.  All of them are created \
using gtk_button_new_with_label.  The problem is that one particular button sizes \
itself to 42 pixels high instead of 27.

I assume that the embedded text box is trying to wrap to two lines.  I don't want \
that.  I tried the obvious, and it didn't work:

	GtkWidget* label_widget = gtk_bin_get_child (GTK_BIN (gtk_button));
	assert (label_widget);
	GtkLabel* gtk_label = GTK_LABEL (label_widget);
	assert (gtk_label);
	gtk_label_set_line_wrap (gtk_label, FALSE);

The other bizarre thing is that it seems to have something to do with the init \
sequencing when showing the window.  If I create buttons with the same labels in a \
minimal test application (a modified version of the GTK table packing tutorial) all \
three buttons are sized to be 27 pixels high, even the one which in my real \
application context is sizing itself to 42.

Does anyone have any advice for how to resolve or even begin to debug this?

I also have a only second question related to this problem.  I'd previously asked for \
some information on themes, and got a partial answer:

> > The "Understanding Metacity Themes" GNOME library documentation doesn't
> > cover this aspect <snip - irrelevant>
>
> Not surprising,since metacity themes and gtk themes are unrelated.

Where are Gtk themes documented?  I'm referring to the user preferences that affect \
such things as button sizing, and how Gtk widgets actually retrieve and act on those \
preferences.  Looking around http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable the only \
instance of the word "Theme" has to do with icon themes.  Nothing at all (at least \
that I can find) pertaining to how widget sizing is affected by GNOME Appearance \
Preferences selection.

Thanks,
Brian