List:       gtk-app-devel
Subject:    Re: Difference between GdkPixbuf and GdkPixmap
From:       "Gianni Moschini" <gianni.moschini () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-08-23 23:03:21

2007/8/24, Mike Melanson <mike@multimedia.cx>:
> What is this program intended to do? Something that has to update the
> frame often, like a video player? Or an image viewing app where things
> don't change often.

It's a card game. It's not always refreshing, but if the three
computer handled players drop a card on the table, each time I need to
redraw everything. That's three times the blit of a  500x500 surface,
plus 8x4 cards maximum to copy to the surface with either
gdk_draw_pixbuf or gdk_draw_drawable.

> > The results were pretty slow. Good looking[1], but slow. I suppose
> > this is caused by the the client->server traffic for the pixbuf to be
> > drawn each frame.
>
> What facility are you using for profiling? 'top'? Some other tool? Or
> does it just 'feel' slower?

nothing, it's just damn slow like click... wait....wait... ok now you
can move the card.

Again I must say it's just when playing through XDMCP, so that's kind
of unnatural situation, but again I want to know how to get a pixmap
from a file, and blit it to a drawing area pixmap without losing the
alpha and get a result similar to using gdk_draw_pixbuf