List:       gtk-app-devel
Subject:    Who to replace deprecated functions
From:       Joerg Anders <j.anders () informatik ! tu-chemnitz ! de>
Date:       2007-08-03 16:13:08

Hi all!

The GTK documentation has a lot of warnings:

   "...  deprecated and should not be used in newly-written code."

In many cases I found the "newly-written code". But there are
2 situations where I can't see a non-deprecated solution":

1.) How can I replace "gtk_toolbar_append_widget()"? In concrete
     case I want to place a GtkSpinButton on a GtkToolbar. It works
     with "gtk_toolbar_append_widget()"! But the new GtkUIManager
     allows only elements which can be added to a GtkActionGroup.

     This limites the widgets to "GtkActionEntry", "GtkToggleActionEntry",
     and "GtkRadioActionEntry".

2.) How can I replace "gtk_menu_append()"? In concrete case I want
     to add and remove some "GtkMenuItem"s dynamically. After a long
     search I found that a combination of:

       gtk_action_group_add_action(...)
       gtk_ui_manager_add_ui_from_string(...)

     can append a new menu item. But how can I remove a menu item?

Any suggestions ?

--
J.Anders, GERMANY, TU Chemnitz, Fakultaet fuer Informatik