List:       gtk-app-devel
Subject:    Re: How to build a GtkTree?
From:       Guenther Meyer <d.s.e () sordidmusic ! com>
Date:       2007-05-27 9:09:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Samstag 26 Mai 2007 schrieb David Nečas:
> You know it.  In the example it's either the same parent
> iter as you used in the last insertion or it is the iter you
> *obtained* in the last insertion.  If you want to go up
> a level, use gtk_tree_model_iter_parent().

sure, I know the iter of the last insertion.
but what I really
> > Wwhat I need  is the iter to a given entry; to say it in sql-style:
> >
> >   SELECT iter FROM tree WHERE content="someparententry";
>
> How would you express content="someparententry"?

This is the data that's stored in one of the rows, and it can tell me where
this entry belongs.
For example, if I have the data "album4.song2", then I know that this entry
has to be stored as a child of the entry "album4".
But to insert this into the tree, I have to know the iter of the parent
entry "album4", which I don't know.
The only way I could imagine to get this, is to walk the whole tree and check
for the wanted parent entry, and that every time when I want to insert
soemthing. But there must be a more efficient way to do this...

> If you want to search the whole tree using some custom
> condition, use gtk_tree_model_foreach().  That's not exactly
> efficient to do repeatedly though.  If you can tell on each
> tree level what to look for (i.e. you don't have to search
> all leafs), you can easily walk through the tree and always
> descend one level when you find what you are looking for on
> that level -- AFAIK there's no function for that, it would
> be probably equally complicated to use as walking though the
> tree manually...

Ok, thanks. So I have it to do this way.
As this is done only one time at the start of the program, I hope it will not
take to much time...