List:       gtk-app-devel
Subject:    Re: gtktreeview API request
From:       Allin Cottrell <cottrell () wfu ! edu>
Date:       2004-11-27 4:43:02

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 23:07 -0500, Allin Cottrell wrote:

>> it's very difficult if not impossible to get a
>> treeview to act like a simple spreadsheet, where the user can move
>> to a given cell and simply start typing to fill out the cell's data.
>> The GTK programmer can arrange that, e.g., typing a number starts
>> the cell editing process, but then the first number typed is "eaten"
>> and there's no way (that I can see) to pass it into the GtkEntry
>> that is created as part of the cell editing process: this widget is
>> private and inaccessible.
>
> In 2.6, GtkCellRenderer has an editing-started signal, which gives you
> access to the GtkCellEditable (ie the widget which is used for editing
> the cell). Not sure if that will help you, but it shows that the widget
> is no longer totally private and somewhat accessible.

That does sound very useful.

Just for reference, after posting I figured out a solution to my
current problem.  I can let, say, the pressing of a numeric key
start the editing of a treeview cell.  But then how to get this
first number into the editable cell?  Aha, synthesize an artificial
key_press event using the keyval from the real key_press that we
captured.  Works nicely.

Allin Cottrell