List:       gstreamer-devel
Subject:    Re: [gst-devel] 0.9 proposals
From:       Benjamin Otte <in7y118 () public ! uni-hamburg ! de>
Date:       2004-12-01 14:57:27

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I think what Benjamin was suggesting was to discard the "thread"
> > element; individual elements would be able to use threads as an
> > implementation detail though.
>
> Same thing in Wim's proposal.

No, Wim proposes to make lots of internal GStreamer function calls
threadsafe by adding locking around ie gst_pad_(un)link. This requires
lots of work - especially deadlock prevention - inside the core.
My proposal is to make the whole API not threadsafe and require that each
function be called in its context. That's a lot easier.

Benjamin