List:       grub-help
Subject:    how to permanently change grub2 prefix without reinstalling?
From:       "Bruno Dantas" <dantas () airpost ! net>
Date:       2019-07-18 3:26:38

I have two GNU/Linux operating systems installed: OS1 in sda1, OS2 in sda2. Each OS \
has its own /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Grub2 was installed to MBR while booted into OS1, \
with following command:

$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda

How do I tell grub to look for grub.cfg in sda2 instead of sda1? I know several ways \
to do this (reinstalling grub while booted into OS2, using "configfile" command in \
OS1's grub.cfg, mounting sda2 while running OS1 then reinstalling grub using \
--boot-directory=/mnt/boot or --root-directory=/mnt) but I would like to know how to \
do this by editing grub's "prefix" string directly,  wherever it is that it hides in \
/dev/sda.

Is there a command-line tool that tells me the grub's current prefix string, with \
option to modify it? If not, I'm fine with a more hacky approach. I've wondered about \
how to do this for years, and would love to finally learn how.

Thanks,
Bruno "GNUser" Dantas