List:       grub-help
Subject:    Re: Boot displays just one dot and hangs - LBA48 during grub2-install and old BIOS during booting
From:       sashab <sashab () freenet ! de>
Date:       2018-11-29 7:30:05

Hello Juhani,

I'm a little confused if you had grub or grub2 installed on your HD.
For now I'll assume there is grub2.

However, I'd try the following:
# Boot from your flash drive
# Mount your root, boot and other partitions to /mnt
# chroot
mount -t proc /proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs /sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o bind /run /mnt/run
chroot /mnt /bin/bash
# Check if your fstab is correct (contains right UUIDs, etc.)
cat /etc/fstab
blkid
# Install GRUB (assuming your SSD is /dev/sda):
grub2-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda
# Backup the "old" cfg
mv /boot/grub2/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg.bak
# Create a new one
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
# exit, sync, umount, reboot and hopefully success

(By running grub2-install in chroot it should determine modules you
need automagically.)

With kind regards,
     sashab