List:       grub-help
Subject:    Re: Unusual GRUB_ notation after reboot of Linux
From:       Pascal Hambourg <pascal () plouf ! fr ! eu ! org>
Date:       2018-11-03 14:02:29

Hello,

Le 02/11/2018 à 21:58, Bijay Dey a écrit  :

> I have a multi-booted system with GNU GRUB of Ubuntu. I installed
> openSUSE as the last os. but after installation accomplish, my system
> boots into text-based-console.
>   It is neither a typical GNU GRUB prompt nor a Grub-boot-menu.
> Instead, its showing GRUB _ notation. the keyboard is also non
> functioning with the console.
>
>   Would you plz tell me the reason behind the problem? Is it a normal
> behaviour of GNU Grub ?? or it is something else ??

This is not a prompt. "GRUB" is the text printed by GRUB's boot image.
It should be followed by "loading" when the core image is loaded properly.

> I have already written a post, asking people for their views,
> solution. here, it is ..
> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2405095. I am still
> confused.

I guess the reason why GRUB hangs while trying to load the core image is
explained in the boot info script report you posted :

> sda3: __________________________________________________________________________
>
>     File system:       Extended Partition
>     Boot sector type:  Grub2 (v1.99-2.00)
>     Boot sector info:  Grub2 (v1.99-2.00) is installed in the boot sector of
>                        sda3 and looks at sector 218870338 of the same hard
>                        drive for core.img, but core.img can not be found at
>                        this location.

sda3 has the "boot" flag in the partition table. But an extended
partition has no room for embedding the core image, so block lists must
be used but it is unreliable.
Sector 218870338 belongs to logical partition sda10 which seems to be
SUSE /boot partition.

This is the problem when using block lists instead of embedding. The
sectors containing the core image may change and the block list is not
updated.

Bottom line : the GRUB installation is broken. Reinstall GRUB from any
of the installed systems.