List:       grub-help
Subject:    Grub menu/MBR modifications
From:       Luc Van Rompaey <luc.vanrompaey () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-06-25 20:28:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

My guess would be, that the 'recordfail' flag was set in the 'grubenv'
file, and that, somehow, it didn't get reset after the system was booted.

You see, the Ubuntu menu entries in the grub.cfg file all include a
'recordfail' line, which will execute the 'recordfail' function that is
defined earlier on in the file. The function will set the 'recordfail'
flag to 1, and save that to the 'grubenv' file.

Once the system boots successfully, it is supposed to clear the flag
again; this actually happens in the '/etc/init.d/grub-common' script.

Next time the time-out doesn't work, I suggest you look in the
'/boot/grub/grubenv' file first, and check if it includes a
'recordfail=1' line.