List:       grub-help
Subject:    Re: Choosing grub2 video modes
From:       Alex Regan <mysqlstudent () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-06-14 19:29:09

Hi,

>> I'm confused about how to control the text video mode from grub. I've seen
>> references to GRUB_GFXMODE and gfxmode, but I don't understand how it's set.
>
> I assume that by "text video mode" you mean the mode used by linux for
> text ttys. Since the advent of kernel mode setting, the video mode
> passed by the bootloader is essentially meaningless; The kernel will
> (by default) always try to configure the native resolution for your
> display, and as it has access to full native graphics drivers (rather
> than just VESA) it usually succeeds.

Yes, at some point previously, I tried to explain I was referring to the
physical tty console text mode. I'm sorry that wasn't more clear.

At one point I was able to use vga= to set the mode, but when that
stopped working, I was looking for the new method.

I thought it was strange that the kernel command-line wasn't being
modified during this whole discussion.

I've now tried video= and it works as expected.

 > GRUB_GFXMODE and gfxmode control the mode used by *grub* for its menu.
 > Is the resolution of your grub menu really not matching what you
 > entered for GRUB_GFXMODE?

Lol, I don't really care about how grub looks :-)

Thanks everyone for your efforts, and explanation about how the boot
mode has changed with KMS. Learned a lot during the process.

Thanks,
Alex