List:       groovy-user
Subject:    Re: [groovy-user] performance issue with many scripts
From:       Ralph Johnson <johnson () cs ! uiuc ! edu>
Date:       2011-08-22 12:59:35

Thanks for your response!

We are using GroovyShell, and I solved the immediate crisis by using a
single instance of GroovyShell to compile all the scripts instead of
making a new instance for each one.   These scripts *are* a lot like
closures, and there might be a much better way to implement them.  In
fact, after reading about Groovy metaprogramming in more detail, I am
thinking that we ought to produce entire classes instead of just one
script at a time.  Usually we bundle a set of scripts together, and we
could just as easily produce a new class to represent the entire set.

Our scripts have names like Script124.  I didn't know you could name
them.  It would certainly help debugging for them to have better
names.  I'll look into that.

The book talked about GroovyShell, GroovyScriptEngine, and
GroovyClassLoader.  I was thinking that maybe we should be using
GroovyClassLoader instead, but I will look at CompilationUnit as well.
 I have been putting off reading the source for Groovy, but I guess it
is about time to start.

-Ralph Johnson