List:       groovy-user
Subject:    Re: [groovy-user] Groovy modularity
From:       Christian Stein <sormuras () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-06-28 13:33:28

Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> On 28/06/05, Dierk Koenig <dierk.koenig@canoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I'd like to add that Swing support needs to go
>>with the "main" module, or groovyConsole will not work.
>

> Good remark...

True.

> Well, I guess we should skip most things in then :-))

Ja.

> Hmmm... so perhaps the sole decomposition could be regarding the
> already existing modules (xml-rpc, etc), and the war samples.

"already existing modules"? Namely?

  o xml-rpc
  o groovy-examples.war
  o ...

Or speaking in existing and pseudo packages;

  o org.codehaus.groovy.* -> "core" // ANTLR and ASM deps are core deps
  o groovy.lang -> "core"

  o groovy.text -> "main"           // main depends on core
  o groovy.swing -> "main"
  o ...

  o groovy.servlet -> "web"         // web depends on main
  o groovy.grails -> "web"
  o ...

...and so on. Or, don't split "core" and "main". Not clear with myself
on this topic. But when it comes to the end-user, who wants to do
something useful with Groovlets for example, you'll hand him the
"groovy-web.jar" and the "groovy-core/main.jar(s)".

The "groovy-examples.war" is special case, as it includes all the
depencies by contract. This war could server as a first proof-of-concept
of the moduled distro.

Cheers,
Christian