List:       groovy-user
Subject:    Re: [groovy-user] Get ${Stuff} Done with Groovy (G$D/Groovy)
From:       John Wilson <tug () wilson ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-09-17 18:10:58

On 17 Sep 2004, at 10:12, George Russell wrote:

> John Wilson wrote:
>> On 17 Sep 2004, at 06:36, Marc Hedlund wrote:
>>>
>>> In case anyone's interested, I've been blogging my experiences
>>> getting to
>>> know Groovy at the O'Reilly site.  The intro page for the series of
>>> blogs,
>>> which I'm calling "Get ${Stuff} Done with Groovy" or "G$D/Groovy" for
>>> short, is at <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5581>.  It's sort of
>>> an
>>> opinionated guide to the things I've figured out how to do with
>>> Groovy.
>>>
>>> If anyone has any comments on the series, please let me know!
>>>

> I'd appreciate an article on how to _read_ XML into Groovy; the markup
> builder stuff seems easy to write XML with ;-)

You need GPath.

I posted an example on this list a couple of days ago of a script which
reads an Atom feed from a web site, takes chunks of the feed and
generates an HTML document from the feed using a builder and than
displays it in a Swing window using another builder. Take a look (It's
in the MarkupBuilder Question thread posted on 15th September). GPath
makes XML wrangling pretty easy.

> What I'd love is an annotated grammar of syntax and description of
> semantics of groovy ; I keep falling into the holes between the
> existing examples when I want to know how to do something in Groovy.
> Perhaps a bit to ambitious though! Hmm, Groovy in a nutshell?

I think we'd all like that. We're working on it;)

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk