List:       groovy-dev
Subject:    Re: [groovy-dev] @Grab and Java 8
From:       Cédric Champeau <cedric.champeau () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-07-15 8:46:39

Le 15/07/2013 10:41, Remi Forax a écrit :

> I don't know what is planned for jdk7 (I don't follow the jdk7 update
> list) but I was thinking that there is a proposal to remove
> getCallerClass in jdk7u40, so currently (jdku25) getCallerClass is not
> removed. In the meantime, you can find the corresponding bug and add a
> comment saying that this is a stupid move.
> For jdk8, as Mandy Chung said, we have a little time to find a
> replacement before jdk8 release, several people express the fact that
> having a public API for accessing caller classes (mixed with stack
> frames or not) is a good idea.
> I'm sure that this is one issue that will be discussed at the next JVM
> Summit, in two weeks.

In fact, 7u40 will not remove the method but it will throw an
UnsupportedOperationException unless you use a JVM flag to re-enable it.
Honestly, I think this is a PITA, as most users will just find Groovy
broken. As for JDK 8 and the solution, unfortunately Jochen will not be
at the JVM Summit this year (he has to pay on his own to get there), but
I'm sure he would be glad to discuss it.
> cheers,
> Rémi

Thanks!

--