List:       grinder-use
Subject:    Re: [Grinder-use] Premature EOF Exception
From:       Tuvell_Walter () emc ! com
Date:       2009-05-12 13:04:17

Hey Roy, nice to meet you.

I remember that problem well.  In my case, Grinder was bombing out with
a Premature EOF, so there was initial suspicion Grinder itself was at
fault.  But upon closer analysis (Wireshark), it turned out the server
under test (our own web server) was the culprit.  It was illegally
closing the connection by "prematurely" sending a TCP FIN/ACK instead of
HTTP 200/OK as it should have.  [As noted in the post you cite, the
fault was actually due to a bug in a 3rd party library, Axis2c, which
has since been fixed.]  This sounds extremely similar to your
experience.  In particular, it sounds like the problem is on the
server-side (or maybe network, but I doubt that), not on the
Grinder-side.

What's different between our problems is that in my case the problem was
related to message size (the Premature EOF happened when response
message was > 173K approx), while your problem is related to number of
threads (which I presume means "number of simultaneous outstanding
requests to the server").

Interestingly, the post you cite was in response to another Grinder user
("aray") who was also seeing a number-of-threads Premature EOF.
Unfortunately, aray did not follow-up on the list with the conclusions
of his investigation.

Aray: If you are reading this, could you please let us know what you
found?

Roy: Are there any server settings for number of simultaneous clients?
Can you run with >10 threads using a different WS operation mix?  Can
you try hardware (maybe the ESX environment is somehow screwing up,
though hard to see why)?

Beyond this, I don't really have any further suggestions to give you,
other than ones you could figure out for yourself (since it looks like
you're trekking down the same paths I would try myself).  Sorry!