List:       grinder-use
Subject:    Re: [Grinder-use] Calculating Transactions per sec
From:       "Calum Fitzgerald" <calum.fitzgerald () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-13 10:39:48

Hi Anil,

Personally I have no plan to port to Oracle or MySQL at the
moment...someone had mentioned they planned on doing an oracle port if
they had time...but they are a busy person so I wouldn't wait. :-)

I chose postgres because i thought it most closely followed Oracle and
it was free. I probably don't have the capacity to handle a couple of
ports at the moment whilst I'm still working on the features. Once I'm
pretty sure that the db does everything it needs to then I'll look at
porting it myself....but if you fancy doing a MySQL port then I'm more
than happy to help.

so onto the SQL that you need for working out the TPS...I'll explain
it in terms of views that you need to look at in the ground report db
to create it....if you want me to post the actual sql then I will in a
followup email...I'm also assuming that you are testing a website and
therefore generating http data

element_max_time_http (this works out how many milliseconds after the
start of the load run the last test finishes)
element_buckets_http (this uses max time and creates buckets of 1
second in size and sorts the data accordingly, elements and pages are
split as the pages would falsely inflate the TPS if included)
total_element_per_second_stats_http (this creates a per second summary
of all the elements/transactions from the elements_buckets data)
mean_load_run_throughput_stats_http (this sums up all the per second
elements/transactions in the total_elements_per_second data to give
you your TPS)

there are corresponding page views which will give you your PPS (pages
per second)

you should be able to use the sql to create views in MySQL...not sure
if the syntax would have to change a little...and maybe the function
to create the buckets might have a different name

I use the views to populate materialised views so that I only take the
processing hit once when doing the calculations but that might just
add further complication.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Cal