List:       grid-engine-users
Subject:    Job Resource Request Mechanism lacks pattern matching
From:       David Pinsky 288-3739 <dep () ftc ! agilent ! com>
Date:       2003-08-25 20:55:08

I'd like to be able to request a boolean string resource by
matching a pattern.  It does not appear to me that SGEEE
supports this.  How possible or easy would this be to add to sgeee?
Is this a feature that I might get if I investigated using the
Maui (or some other) scheduler??

One place we use it now (not in SunGrid) is in subselecting systems from our
very heterogeneous pool of HPUX systems.  Users might want to restrict
their submission to a set of systems that that they know are of a certain
capabilities.  One example might be to select only hpux models C3700,
C3750, and C6750.  User might request something in this case like:
	-model 'C3700|C3750|C6750'
or
	-model 'C[36]7[05]0'
(In grid-ese, you would say '-l model="C3700|C3750|C6750"')
With sgeee, I can only see how to request 'model=C3700' or
'model=C3750', but not both without massive configuration and/or wrapper
headaches.

Our system that does this now includes a piece in perl, and the perl
pattern matching capalities were then easily used.  But any
pattern globbing or regular expression matching would be very powerful.

So again, any ideas how I might get a capability like this in sgeee.

David

David Pinsky                                    david_pinsky@agilent.com
Agilent Technologies, Asic Product Design       970-288-3739
4380 Ziegler Road                               970-288-6580 (fax)
Fort Collins, CO  80525-9790                    Mailstop 72