List:       grid-engine-users
Subject:    Re: [GE users] Beginner Question: How to add another user to be able
From:       Fritz Ferstl <ferstl () sun ! com>
Date:       2003-03-31 9:33:56

Hi TJ,

I may have overlooked previous answers to this, but here I go anyway:

First, the qconf -?u and -?user commands deal with completely different
Grid Engine objects. The -?u commands maintain access lists (ACLs) which
you can use to permit or deny a list of users to run jobs in a certain
queue, for instance. The -?user commands maintain the list of users
known to Grid Engine, Enterprise Edition. The Enterprise Edition has to
have a user entry for each user so that historical resource consumption
information can be stored in it (among other information). The past
resource consumption is used for the Enterprise Edition fair-share policy.

To your concrete questions:

See the qconf manpage and the bottom of the qconf -help output for
information on listname_list.

The root user will only appear under qconf -suser if it has been added
explicitly before via qconf -auser root.

The user lists you are displaying via qconf -sul are lists existing by
default in an Enterprise Edition system. Deadlineusers contains the Unix
account names of the users allowed to submit deadline jobs. The
defaultdepartment is not really used for adding users to it. It is a
predefined name for a department for users which otherwise are not
assigned to an admin-created department explictly. Departments are the
Enterprise Edition term for grouping users in a 1-to-1 unique fashion. A
particular user only can be a member of a single department. User which
are not memebers in any of the departments which the administrator has
configured automatically become members of the defaultdepartments.
Departments are used in the functional and override policies in
Enterprise Edition. Please refer to the manual for specifics.

I hope this helps,

Fritz