List:       grid-engine-dev
Subject:    qdel "" kills qmaster in 6.0u1
From:       Jim Phillips <jim () ks ! uiuc ! edu>
Date:       2004-10-08 1:13:22

Hi,

Running qdel on Linux or Solaris, with qmaster running on Solaris, running
qdel with an empty argument, i.e., qdel "", immediately kills qmaster:

jim@santiago>qstat -u jim
jim@santiago>qdel ""
unable to contact qmaster using port 536 on host "manitoba.ks.uiuc.edu"
jim@santiago>qstat -u jim
unable to contact qmaster using port 536 on host "manitoba.ks.uiuc.edu"
jim@santiago>qdel
ERROR! no option argument
SGE 6.0u1
usage: qdel [options] job_task_list

I consider this a serious local denial of service vulnerability, since one
user can easily take out the server.  I tried submitting this to the issue
tracking system, but it wasn't letting me in even though I had the
required observer status.

-Jim