List:       grass-user
Subject:    Re: [GRASS-user] satellite imagery for percentage paved, landscaped area
From:       Markus Neteler <neteler () osgeo ! org>
Date:       2018-11-26 7:54:30

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 2:48 PM Francois Chartier
<fra.chartier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is it possible with grass to estimate the percentage of landscaped area in a \
> city/waterhed by using satellite imagery processing. if so, as a next step, is it \
> also possible to differentiate between roads and and other impervious areas?

Hi,

we did something similar with aerial imagery which we presented at the
last FOSSGIS 2018 in March:

https://frab.fossgis-konferenz.de/system/event_attachments/attachments/000/000/249/original/HS4_10_fossgis2018_openNRW_neteler.pdf?1522144490

There will be other examples as well.

Quite interesting for you will be the Sentinel Copernicus data. There
is also a related "Copernicus Land Monitoring Service", High
Resolution Layer Imperviousness:
https://land.copernicus.eu/pan-european/high-resolution-layers/imperviousness

For its "Product Specifications", see
https://land.copernicus.eu/user-corner/technical-library/hrl-imperviousness-technical-document-prod-2015