List:       grass-user
Subject:    =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFtHUkFTUy11c2VyXSBFbGV2YXRpb24gcHJvZmlsZSBmcm9tIGk=?=
From:       Micha Silver <micha () arava ! co ! il>
Date:       2008-11-30 7:12:03

[Attachment #2 (text/html)]

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
georgew wrote:
  <pre wrap="">What, no takers? Just a Yes or No will be already of great help to me,
  </pre>
Yes.<br>
I think you should be looking at converting the shapefile contour lines
to a raster, then make an elevation surface from that, and use the
r.profile module to calculate elevation profiles for the track lines.
So:<br>
v.in.org to import the contour lines and tracks into grass<br>
v.to.rast and r.thin to convert the contour lines to a raster map.<br>
r.surf.contour to create an elevation surface from the rasterized
contours<br>
r.profile to get the elevations along the tracks.<br>
Post back with specific questions if you hit a snag.<br>
Regards,<br>
Micha<br>
  <pre wrap="">anything more, like some hint on a possible solution would be cream on top.
Thanks all the same for reading this.
George

georgew wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Hi, I am totally new to GRASS and overwhelmed by its scope and not sure
whether the following is possible:
I have a set of topographic maps in shapefile format containing contours
and walking tracks. The track data does not include elevation (only lat.
and long.), but the contour lines do include elevation. Is it possible
(and how?) to create an elevation profile for the length of the walking
track using the intersecting points between the track and the contour
lines to obtain the elevation values?
Many thanks for any assistance you can give me.
George

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
  </pre>