List:       grass-psc
Subject:    [GRASS-PSC] git migration: Zenodo optionS
From:       "Peter_Löwe" <peter.loewe () gmx ! de>
Date:       2019-04-02 11:17:41

Hi Markus, hi list,

I was raising the Zenodo-topic, since this might strategically affect how we need to \
structure the GRASS repository / repositories on GitHub, so we can make the most out \
of Zenodo for scientific citation later.

Zenodo currenlty mints for EACH SINGLE GitHub-project which is checked in EXACTLY ONE \
persistent identifier ("unbreakable Web-link"), a Digital Object Identifier (DOI). \
DOI have become crucial for scientific citation and indirectly also for the careers \
of early career scientists (who need lots a citations to eventually get tenure/rich)

Whenever there's a new release of the project repo on GitHub, the corresponding repo- \
instance in Zenodo is updated accordingly and the DOI is also updated to a new \
version (note: it's the same DOI, NOT a new/different DOI). This compares to the \
update note on GRASS man pages ("Note: A new GRASS GIS stable version has been \
released: GRASS GIS 7.6, available here. Updated manual page: here").

In this manner we're dealing with two different flavours of DOI-based reference: 1.) \
The "overall" DOI for the archived (GRASS-)software repo and 2.) the continuously \
increased version/release numbers (e.g. citing "GRASS GIS" versus a particular \
release "GRASS 4.2.1"; "GRASS 5.3", "GRASS 7.4", etc.).

So from the Zenodo/DOI perspective need to consider (at least) two options for using \
GitHub:

a) We could _SPLIT_ the overall GRASS repo and create individual GitHub repos for \
each currently existing GRASS release, so each gets its own distinct DOI (this would \
allow for backports to be considered new (DOI)versions of the particular GRASS \
releases).

b) We keep __ONE__ GRASS project GUI, and get __ONE__ DOI for the greater GRASS \
project wich has LOTS of versions. Suggestion: We could start filling the repo \
(already linked with Zenodo) consecutively, beginning with the oldest archived GRASS \
releases, minting a DOI-version for each one. In this manner, each old GRASS release \
will receive it's own  distinct __version__ of the overall DOI. Things could get \
messy lateron, when backports to previous releases are made, which will also cause \
DOI version updates, but AFAIK there's no way yet to sort through all DOI versions \
(just) for a specific GRASS release.

We also should consider that Zenodo currently can't handle fine-grained DOI, to cite \
a particular GRASS module within a certain GRASS release. There's still a lot of \
development going on both in the DOI infrastructure and Zenodo, so this might come as \
a later step.

Another interesting aspect is the issue of ownership and due credit: Both the GRASS \
repo(s) on GitHub and the corresponding Zendo-archive(s) must have owners. This \
should be IMHO the "GRASS Development Team". Therefore the GRASS-related DOI(s) will \
be attributed to the GRASS Developer Team. We should think about a way, to link the \
ORCIDs of team members ("persitent identifiers for individual persons" \
https://orcid.org) to the GRASS DOI(s). This is not trivial (but innovative), but can \
be tackled later.

best,
Peter