List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    Re: [graphviz-interest] Directory visualization: help making diagrams look like treeview
From:       Ron Savage <ron () savage ! net ! au>
Date:       2013-05-12 0:15:20

Hi

On 12/05/13 02:19, leledumbo wrote:
> I guess I have an idea, but maybe it's worth analyzing before I implement (so
> I won't end up in something that's actually impossible). The tree layout can
> be described as a grid, so for instance if I have this directory structure:

> +b
> ++c
> ++d
> +e
> ++f
>
> then I'll actually build the diagram this way (copy-paste to editor with
> monospace font):
>
> +---+---+---+
> | a |   |   |
> +---+---+---+
> | - | b |   |
> +---+---+---+
> | - | - | c |
> +---+---+---+
> | - | - | d |
> +---+---+---+
> | - | e |   |
> +---+---+---+
> | - | - | f |
> +---+---+---+
>
> such that each row has connecting invisible edge(s) of the same rank from
> the left until 1 column before the rightmost one (the file / directory).
> Would that be possible (i.e. the result would be as expected)?

Yes, that was my first thought when I read your first post. Back on May
3rd the topic of swimlines was mentioned, but the suggestion was that
other tools were better than Graphviz for that.

But I think best of all would be that you do it in Javascript, using the
jQuery JS library.

--
Ron Savage
http://savage.net.au/