List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    Re: [graphviz-interest] bad text positions in svg output on linux
From:       Ron Savage <ron () savage ! net ! au>
Date:       2011-09-13 1:39:20

Hi Folks

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 04:48 +0200, Henrik Lindberg wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2011, at 2:41 AM, Stephen North wrote:
[snip]
> An attribute that seems to make the output more consistent is to use
> text-rendering="geometricPrecision"  on text elements. With this set,
> the output in firefox looks more like the output in google chrome (the
> diff I observe is about 1/3 of a character on 100 characters), and
> when text-rendering is not set to any value, the diff is 4 characters
> between ff (where the text-rendering attribute has no effect) and
> google chrome (where it does). Where ff seems to use geometric
> precision at all times, Safari seems to be "auto" at all times - as
> nothing happens when the attribute is set).

I wonder if this is related to problems I have displaying SVG images,
with Graphviz V 2.26.3.

(1) With Chrome, an SVG image displayed stand-alone is rendered
differently than when it's embedded in a web page.

Sample output from 'dot -Tsvg x.dot > x.svg' and 'dot -Tpng x.dot >
x.png' (no other dot options used other than -T):

a) A PNG screenshot taken with the GIMP of the SVG embedded in a web
page:
http://savage.net.au/Perl-modules/html/graphviz2/chrome.screenshot.png

The problem: The word Murrumbeena (in the SVG) overflows the box.

b) The original SVG:
http://savage.net.au/Perl-modules/html/graphviz2/html.labels.svg

The non-problem: The word Murrumbeena fits in the box.

c) The original in PNG:
http://savage.net.au/Perl-modules/html/graphviz2/html.labels.png

OK.

(2) With Firefox, the SVG simply doesn't appear when embedded in a web
page:

a) The screenshot:
http://savage.net.au/Perl-modules/html/graphviz2/firefox.screenshot.png

No SVG.