List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    Re: [graphviz-interest] flowchart
From:       Yaverot <Yaverot () computermail ! net>
Date:       2011-04-18 18:34:28

--- massis@live.com wrote:
> > this is my first day with Graphviz and I love it.
> > I would like to  use it for flowchart creation for software and process
> > description.

My simple answer to this that it depends on how strict you wish to be to standard \
flowchart practices.  Do you just care that the data is visible enough to see the \
arrows and relationships? dot does the job. Do you need right angles and all "yes" \
point the same way? It can be done, but it is easier to use dot as a first pass, then \
use that as a source to look at while you draw it in Visio or the like.  This is even \
more true if your ISO 900x documents state the form of graph documents, or this is \
for CEO to show shareholders.

Rewording that: Audience, is it for yourself (and maybe your office), where getting \
it quick and right is the need, or does it need to be publication quality, with all \
the traditional flowchart rules.

> > Do you suggest to continue with this idea?

I use flowcharts to document an existing process, therefore it is important that it \
is generated pragmatically showing how it is, and not how it should be.  Any manual \
cleanup by me will be destroyed by the automatic regen script.

If you want a formal right angles, etc chart, and do it with dot and graphviz, you \
may want to look at changing the direction of your graph, TB, LR, RL, BT. To get \
right angles, you add "point" nodes where the line needs to turn, and using \
"ranksame" with the correct two nodes. I have seen examples on the list over the \
years, so searching the archives should help. I don't have an example handy.  For yes \
goes this way, no goes that way, use headport and/or tailport.  If going this route, \
I'd recommend getting the "yes/no"s right before changing for right angles.

I'd still love to have a convenient free flowchart program someday.