List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    Re: [graphviz-interest] aligning and spacing multiple components
From:       Skye Bender-deMoll <skyebend () skyeome ! net>
Date:       2010-05-26 21:07:51

Hi Emden,
  thanks for your help.

> It would be helpful if you could post a small example with a collection
> of trees and a specific description of
> what nodes you want where and maybe a drawing that doesn't give you what
> you want.

here is the input file:

http://skyeome.net/tmp/botsTreeExample.dot

dot alone gives this image:

http://skyeome.net/tmp/botsTreeExampleDotOnly.pdf

"root" nodes positioned at top rank is great, but trees overlap
horizontally, so hard to tell them apart (especially when I add the colors)

> As for the specific questions:
>
>  1. The pack and packmode attributes are unused by dot. Check the notes
> on the table at

Doh.  It says "not dot" oops.  Guess I was confused, thought it said
elsewhere in documentation that dot used packmode.

>  2. This should be working. Indeed, a straightforward application of dot
> should be giving you
> what you want, if I understand correctly.

It is close

ccomps -x  botsTreeExample.dot | dot -Gpack=100| gvpack -array100 |
neato -s -n2 -Tpdf -o botsTreeExampleCcompsGvpack.pdf

gives me:

http://skyeome.net/tmp/botsTreeExampleCcompsGvpack.pdf

horizontal positioning is great (tho' I couldn't figure out how to add a
little more padding between the trees) but it looks like they are
vertically aligned to the centers of the trees. I'd like the tops aligned.

Essentially, I'm trying to set up an automated process to generate the
layout like the trees we did in the last frame of this network animation:

http://csde.washington.edu/statnet/movies/index.html

That was with pajek, but dot does much clearer layouts.

>  3. This can be easily done using ccomps and gvpr.

Ok, I'll try that also.  I'm trying to keep the pipeline short and
without external script files, since I'm actually calling this as an
external process from java software  (SoNIA) that is generating the movie

I started with:

ccomps -x  botsTreeExample.dot | gvpr 'BEG_G{print("subgraph cluster_1
{"); print($G);} END_G {print("};"); }'

but this just wrapped the names of the graphs in subgraph statements.
Could you point me to some example beyond what is in the man pages for gvpr?

thanks,
 -skye