List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    Re: [graphviz-interest] How to optimally rotate edge labels?
From:       "Yury V. Zaytsev" <yury () shurup ! com>
Date:       2009-05-21 12:02:17

Dear Peter,

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 08:33 +0200, Peter Both wrote:

> At my side this resulted in a more compact drawing. If I look at your
> dot files, it maybe could also help in your case.

Yes, leaving out one parameter from my labels and inserting a line break
between the other two will probably help a quite bit to get a more
compact layout. Thanks for sharing this idea!

> Maybe a suggestion for the future development of graphviz (if possible
> off course). It would also be very nice if it would be possible to
> draw the edge labels along the same angle as the corresponding edge
> lines. This would also result in more compact drawings.

I definitively agree with you, that would be a very nice addition to
Graphviz, but that depends on whether Graphviz developers have time and
interest in implementing such an idea.

I have already seen the implementation of this algorithm in some of the
technical drawing programs like Dia or Visio or whatever it was... and
it looked so much more intelligible and aesthetically pleasing!

Regards,

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev