List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    Re: [graphviz-interest] Weird problem with graphviz python
From:       Cyril Brulebois <cyril.brulebois () enst-bretagne ! fr>
Date:       2007-10-30 18:34:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

John Ellson <ellson@research.att.com> (29/10/2007):
> Next ?   ;)

While we're speaking about the python modules, I'm wondering whether the
following would be feasible.

First, the rationale: Debian (and derivatives, like Ubuntu) provides
several python interpreters at the same time, e.g. python2.3 and
python2.4, or python2.4 and python2.5. Depending on the policy of the
distribution, packages providing python modules should or must provide
them for all available python versions.

I've been wondering for some time how that could be done for graphviz. A
way to do so would be to make && make install one first time with
default setting, and then redo that by setting the appropriate
variables, like:
  make PYTHON_INCLUDES=/usr/include/python2.5

The problem with this approach is the going back and fro between the
"build" and the "install" targets in the debian Makefile (debian/rules).

An other way would be to use several "make" invokations (with the
appropriate PYTHON_INCLUDES) and move the libtool object between each
call, but I'm afraid it is just plain ugly and could lead to various
problems when entering the install target.

A cleaner way to do so would be to use a tiny loop, so that one could
specify PYTHON_VERSIONS="python2.4 python2.5" when calling make (or even
--with-python-versions="python2.4 python2.5" when calling ./configure)
and use a proper loop in the Makefile, but I fear it's not that easy
given the way autotools are generating Makefiles.

Thoughts? :)

(At the moment, I'm only providing a module for the default python
version, but I'd like to provide a module for each available python
version.)

And BTW, I think I've done everything I wanted to do, so I could upload
a pre-2.16 snapshot into debian/experimental. Or is there some blocker
in your opinion?

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois