List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    Re: [graphviz-interest] Low(er)-quality images?
From:       Cyril Brulebois <cyril.brulebois () enst-bretagne ! fr>
Date:       2007-09-27 19:59:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

John Ellson <ellson@research.att.com> (27/09/2007):
> With the plugin mechanism we support multiple renderers for each
> format, so the other renderers are still available.

Indeed, I should have checked the manpage too… Sorry for the noise.

> I also felt that quality was more important than file size when I
> selected the defaults.

Sure!

> You can use the paletted gd renderer with the latest releases by
> selecting a specific renderer other than the default:
> -Tgif:gd -Tpng:gd -Tjpg:gd

The package is now back from 100MB to 10MB, perfect! I proposed a patch
to the doxygen maintainers, so that they can keep on using the gd
renderer if they agree the size of the generated images is a global
problem.

> […]
> I noticed that the antialiased -Tjpg (= -Tjpg:cairo) is actually
> smaller than -Tjpg:gd, and about 5 times larger that -Tpng:gd I think
> jpg doesn't use paletted colors, but has good compression. Perhaps
> that would be a reasonable compromise?

-Tpng:gd sounds good. Thanks for the quick & detailed answer!

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois