List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    Re: [graphviz-interest] Edge Angles / curvature
From:       "Emden R. Gansner" <erg () research ! att ! com>
Date:       2007-09-04 16:08:17

onion mantis wrote:

> Are there attributes to set the angle of incidence of an edge on a node?
> I know this might not quite work with the layouting algorithms used,
> but I was wondering if it were possible.

Actually, both the edge routing algorithm and the grammar potentially
allow this. (If you look in the
DOT grammar file lib/graph/parser.y, you'll rules for port_angle
commented out.) This feature has
never been turned on and integrated with the edge routing code.
> Also are there ways to tell an edge to be straight or curved?
> The scenario is a directed graph of two nodes with two mutual edges in
> opposite directions. I'd like to have one or both edges be curved.

Only at the graph level; see

  http://www.graphviz.org/doc/info/attrs.html#d:splines

In many cases, however, the finer granularity can be achieved by
postprocessing. Suppose you attach the attribute splines=false
to any edge you want drawn as a line segment. Then the pipeline

   dot | gvpr -c 'E[splines=="false"]{pos=""}' | neato -n2 -T...

will do the trick.

    Emden