List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    Re: [graphviz-interest] how to tell dot to accept layout info
From:       "Emden R. Gansner" <erg () research ! att ! com>
Date:       2007-08-14 14:46:10

Hendrik Tews wrote:
> I didn't try neato, because the documentation says
>
>        neato - filter for drawing undirected graphs
>
> and I have a directed graph. May I suggest to correct the docs?

Fixed, though in my defense, I didn't even know that man page existed. :)

Basically, the layout programs work for any graph, directed or
undirected. Only dot, however,
takes directed edges into account as part of the layout. (If the graph
is not directed, dot imposes
an ordering.)
> Anyway, the produced output look similar, but is not exactly the
> same. Can I ignore the differences?

That's up to you. On the other hand, the output of dot and dot | neato
-n2 should be very close, modulo
some floating point rounding. If you are seeing significant differences,
we would appreciate it if you
would submit a bug report so we could fix this. Thanks.

    Emden