List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    Re[2]: [graphviz-interest] Large and complex graph
From:       Andriy Miranskyy <amiransk () uwo ! ca>
Date:       2007-06-17 8:57:04

> On Jun 17, 2007, at 00:28, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> On Jun 16, 2007, at 19:50, Andriy Miranskyy wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to build a complex graph with 888 nodes:
>>>   http://publish.uwo.ca/~amiransk/g.dot
>>> Windows builds of dot (both 2.12 and 2.13) close silently after
>>> outputting (in verbose mode) the following line:
>>>   network simplex: 888 nodes 6039 edges 64 iter 0.00 sec
>>> Could you please tell me, is dot capable of handling this graph, and
>>> if yes -- what kind of parameters and/or OS should I use?
>>
>> I tried
>>
>> time dot -Tpng g.dot > g.png
>>
>> After a bit over an hour I got:
>>
>> Segmentation fault
>>
>> real    66m1.473s
>> user    62m51.948s
>> sys     0m21.634s
>>
>> This was with graphviz 2.13.20070616.0440 on a 2.16-GHz Intel Core
>> 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 2 GB RAM.

> However: neato was able to produce an image in under a minute. It's a
> bit large to attach to this message but you can see it here:

> http://www.ryandesign.com/tmp/g.png

Thank you! Indeed, neato v.2.13 is able to produce a graph on my
machine, v.2.12 fails. Unfortunately, it is hard to analyze neato's
output (I also played with overlap parameter).

It is interesting that in your case dot was able to do something -- on
my machine (Centrino, 1.5 Gb) it closes in the first second. Could you
please re-run computations with "-Tsvg -v"? Maybe dot causes
segmentation fault while trying to generate png file, which, I assume,
should be huge in the uncompressed form ...