List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    [graphviz-interest] arrowhead overlap
From:       adinno () hsph ! harvard ! edu (adinno () hsph ! harvard ! edu)
Date:       2006-01-31 14:43:39

hi all,

i have two questions. (i appologize if they've been covered before i
searched both developer and interest lists with several different terms)

1. how are users minimizing arrowhead overlap without concentrators? i've
    tried using head and tail ports, but this really munges the edge
    layout. i have also played around with node sepparation since that
    results in small shifts that sometimes improve the situation. but
    neither of these methods are ideal.

2. do developers have like concerns about head (possibly tail) overlap,
    and if so, what might we expect in the future?

i am concerned both with head/head (and sometimeshead/head/head :)
overlaps, as well as head/tail overlaps.

my application is signed digraph representations of causal feedback, a la,
levins' loop analysis. i have provided three illustrations of this kind of
problem here:

    http://www.doyenne.com/personal/art/overlap.png

node b in graph 1, node a in graph 2, and nodes a, b, d and e in graph 3
all illustrate my problem. the kind of problem in graph 2 is particularly
worrisome, since if one of the arrowheads were a different sign the
readability of the graph could become unreconcilably ambiguous.

thanks for your thoughts,
alexis