List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    [graphviz-interest] Italic/Bold fonts in HTML labels
From:       nospam-abuse () bloodgate ! com (Tels)
Date:       2006-01-29 18:27:53

Moin,

On Monday 30 January 2006 00:23, Emden R. Gansner wrote:
> Andrea aime wrote:
> > I see. While I'm at, I'm wondering, is there any particular reason
> > for the lack of underlined text? I mean, it sound kind of funny since
> > italic/bold/underline are the basic styles almost every graphical
> > application supports.
> >
> > If you wonder why I need it, that's because the UML standard say to
> > underline static elements in a class.
>
> No particular reason except no one has asked for it and it would take
> effort to implement.
> Typically, underlining has to be done as two operations: draw the text,
> then underline it, so
> extra bits would need to go into data structures, etc. With limited
> resources, we tend to
> concentrate on the problems of graph layout.
>
> Actually, supporting underlining would fit in with our thoughts about
> providing a higher-level
> font control, by which the graph would indicate bold or italic and the
> appropriate font variant
> would be chosen. The humor that underlining is still around is that it
> used to be considered the
> poor man's version of emphasis if one didn't have access to a real
> italic. We now have all the
> color and font styles in the world and we still use underlining.

And text that is blue and underlined causes a click-reflex :)

I would also be interested in support for underline, overline,
strike-through, italic and bold fonts, (for all texts, not just HTML
labels) basically because Graph::Easy supports these (as does CSS after
which it is modeled) and currently it cannot output these things in
graphviz.

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Mon Jan 30 00:25:18 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.

 Q: "Dr. Fisher, how did you begin your great career in Contact
 Dermatology?" Dr. Alexander Fisher: "I started from Scratch!"