List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    [graphviz-interest] problem compiling graphviz on server
From:       andrew () pandamouth ! org (Andrew Mason)
Date:       2005-05-16 20:16:31

Hi,

I'm trying to compile Graphviz on my server (shared hosting through
site5.com) and I'm running into a few problems.  I'm relatively
inexperienced at this sort of install, so be gentle with me...

First, what I know about the server:

-I have shell access
-All the prereqs in the build notes are installed and available globally
-php safe mode is turned off
-the site5 support tech seems to think this should work fine and
doesn't know why I'm getting the error
-the site5 support tech, I suspect, isn't trying very hard

Uploading the tar file via ftp into the root folder of my hosting
account (outside of the public_html directory) and then uncompressing
it through the shell went flawlessly.  The problem begins with typing
"./configure", which returns:

> jailshell-3.00$ ./configure
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error:
> C compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.
> jailshell-3.00$

The config log is hard for me to dissect, but the last few lines read:

#define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
#define PACKAGE_NAME "graphviz"
#define PACKAGE_STRING "graphviz 2.3.20050515.0430"
#define PACKAGE_TARNAME "graphviz"
#define PACKAGE_VERSION "2.3.20050515.0430"

configure: exit 77

Incidentally, I'm not married to this hosting company so if anyone
has a recommendation for Graphviz use, fire away.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew