List:       graphviz-interest
Subject:    [graphviz-interest] Fw: Using Graphviz from the command line
From:       ellson () research ! att ! com (John Ellson)
Date:       2004-06-11 11:28:17

John Ellson wrote:

> OK, thanks, so lets see if I have this right:
>
> \x1a is ascii SUB is ^Z,  and this is an inband EOF designator used by
> Windows.
>
> The problem being that if an upstream program terminates (normally or
> abnormally)
> without explicitly sending  ^Z then a downstream program will hang
> forever.
>

> Is there a known workaround for the downstream program for this
> condition on Windows?

.
I googled around a bit and found this in
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq7.html

      Killing subprocesses on Windows 95/98

Emacs cannot guarantee that a subprocess gets killed on Windows 95/98,
and is a difficult limitation to work around. For the forseeable future,
you should always let subprocesses run to completion, including
explicitly exiting interactive shells.

If you find that shutting down Windows 95/98 complains that there is a
running cmdproxy even though you've exited all programs and it doesn't
show up in the Task Manager until you shutdown, this could be a bad
interaction with Norton VirusChecker.

Francis Wright has written a nice little package which tries to
automatically tell shell buffer(s) to "exit" if you try to kill them, it
is called msdos-shell-fix.el, and can be found at :
http://centaur.maths.qmw.ac.uk/Emacs/.

      Sending eof to subprocesses in Emacs (e.g., C-c C-d in shell buffers)

When an eof is sent to a subprocess running in an interactive shell via
process-send-eof, the shell terminates unexpectedly as if its input were
closed. See this description
<http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs/todo/shell-ctrl-d>
for more info and an example.

If Emacs doesn't have a clean solution then what hope is there for us
lesser mortals ;-)

John