List:       graphicsmagick-help
Subject:    Re: [GM-help] Cross compiling ARM sysroot
From:       Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen () simple ! dallas ! tx ! us>
Date:       2015-05-19 13:48:53

On Tue, 19 May 2015, Francesco Aru wrote:

>>> I really appreciate you shared your recipe !
>> Sorry for this problem.  I will try to make things better.
>>
>> Bob
>
> I think is not a GraphicsMagick issue but a build system problem.
> I use a similar recipe for ImageMagick but I really prefer
> GraphicsMagick because of the preformance ;)

Perhaps the issue could be described as both a GraphicsMagick issue
and a build system problem.  The problem partly stems from my prior
descision to search for libraries and headers based on the package
installation prefix (impacts FreeType, libxml2, and libwmf).  This
breaks detection of libraries and headers installed in an
architecture-specific subdirectory.

Unfortunately, the problem is difficult to solve properly because the
various *-config scripts output a wide variety of content, including
content (e.g. spurious -I/usr/include) which would subsequently block
users from using libraries that they installed themselves and might
result in a broken build.  This forces me to still make value
judgements as to the parts of the output to include, and the parts to
ignore.

The various *-config scripts are very "selfish" and output supposedly
required options which might work ok with a simple "Hello world"
application but not for a complex application like GraphicsMagick.
All of these disparate demands must somehow be balanced in order to
provide reliable compilation, but also the freedom for the user to
install libraries in multiple places, and to install versions which
are different which came with the base OS.

There are admonishments to switch to relying on pkg-config, but
pkg-config is partially platform specific, requires a carefully
managed pkg-config installation, and still seems to work best with all
libraries installed in the same directory.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/