List:       graphicsmagick-help
Subject:    Re: [GM-help] 64-bit Windows support
From:       Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen () simple ! dallas ! tx ! us>
Date:       2010-05-13 15:02:08

On Thu, 13 May 2010, Gordon Henriksen wrote:

> Has anyone used GraphicsMagick as a 64-bit library on Windows? I
> need an library for deployment in a 64-bit Windows service. I'm fine
> with doing a bit of legwork, but as configure.exe generates 32-bit
> project files and the binary distributions only include 32-bit
> libraries, it seems this may be an entirely untested configuration.

I don't have a 64-bit Windows system here so I have not built or
tested 64-bits.  It seems likely that such a build should work fine
for most purposes.  The main concern with a 64-bit build is that the
'long' data type remains 32-bits so if there is any code which
depended on 'long' being promoted to 64-bits (as all other 64-bit
systems do), there could be a problem with large images.  In fact, the
APIs do use 'unsigned long' when passing rows and columns so there are
(amply large) arbitrary limits which do not exist in the 64-bit Unix
builds.  In a future version, I will likely change the rows and
columns type values to a typedeffed type so that it can become 64-bit
under Windows.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn