List:       graphicsmagick-help
Subject:    Re: [GM-help] GM built on 7 cannot read images on XP
From:       Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen () simple ! dallas ! tx ! us>
Date:       2010-01-02 23:36:22

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010, Kenneth Tilton wrote:

> Quick Q before I dig in further: should GM built on Windows 7 using VC++
>  work OK on XP, or do I need to build on XP for an XP app?
>
> Sorry if my ignorance is showing, I am just a Lisp programmer using

Not to worry.  I am ignorant too.

Some people still build GraphicsMagick with Visual C++ 6.0 (1998
vintage!) since the built binaries run on the most systems.  It is
always risky using a newer system to build applications for older
systems.  I am not sure what all the implications are, but it is
likely that newer DLLs are required which are not present on older
systems.

The release builds for the next GraphicsMagick release might use the
"uninstalled" configuration.  I will have to test to see if there are
any risks from doing that.

I have not yet seen a Windows 7 system, or Windows Vista either.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/