List:       gpsd-users
Subject:    [Gpsd-users] Unplug/plug the GPS: how to force gpsd to reopen the
From:       Niccolo Rigacci <niccolo () rigacci ! org>
Date:       2008-04-15 14:00:43

Hi,

I'm trying to solve an apparently simple problem.

I have an USB gps, I start gpsd at boot time with the controlling
socket, with no device name because gps is not generally
plugged-in.

When I plug the gps, udev notifies gpsd via the socket. Then I
can attach gpspipe and watch NMEA data.

But if I unplug and plug again the gps, gpspipe (like other
clients) stops reading data. I discovered that launching another
client (eg. just running "gpspipe -r -n1") the former gpspipe
starts to receive data again. Is that normal?

Is it possible to notify gpsd via the socket or via a signal
forcing it to reopen the gps device without disturbing attached
clients? I think of adding this action into
/lib/udev/gpsd.hotplug.

Running gpsd 2.37 on Debian Lenny, Asus EeePC.

--
Niccolo Rigacci
Firenze - Italy