List:       gpsd-users
Subject:    Re: [Gpsd-users] Serving more than one device
From:       "Chris Kuethe" <chris.kuethe () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-09-28 6:18:45

That's what the "F" command is for. You can use it to query which
device you're getting data from, and to switch to a different device.

       f      Gets or sets the active GPS device name. The bare
              command 'f' requests a response containing 'F='
              followed by the name of the active GPS device. The
              other form of the command is 'f=', in which case
              all following printable characters up to but not
              including the next CR/LF are interpreted as the
              name of a trial GPS device. If the trial device is
              in gpsd's device list, it is opened and read to see
              if a GPS can be found there. If it can, the trial
              device becomes the active device for this client.

              The 'f=' command may fail if the specified device
              name is not on the daemon's device list. This
              device list is initialized with the paths given on
              the command line, if any were specified. For
              security reasons, ordinary clients cannot change
              this device list; instead, this must be done via
              the daemon's local control socket declared with the
              -F option.

              Once an 'f=' command succeeds, the client is tied
              to the specified device until the client disconnects.

              Whether the command is 'f' or 'f=' or not, and
              whether it succeeds or not, the response always
              lists the name of the client's device.

              (At protocol level 1, the F command failed if more
              than one client was attached, and multiple devices
              were not supported.)