List:       gpsd-users
Subject:    [Gpsd-users] gpsd seg-fault condition found on Mac OS X, with GlobalSat BT-318 Bluetooth GPS
From:       frank () nicholasfamilycentral ! com (Frank Nicholas)
Date:       2005-04-09 0:31:44

I believe I've found the condition that's causing the seg-faults on my
setup.

When the GPS gets "really confused", by trying to change modes, it puts
out a seemingly random number (witnessed 1-6) of 0xFF's, followed by a
0x80.  When the GPS is in this condition, is when I get the seg-faults
with gpsd.  When it's in this state, NOTHING will get good information
from it.  Not the Leadtek Palm Pilot utility, SiRFDemo.exe, the
GlobalSat supplied utility......

It appears that failed attempts to change the GPS mode from NMEA to
SiRF, or from SiRF to NMEA, causes this condition.  It is resolved by
removing the battery for a few minutes, and the GPS is then back in
NMEA mode at 4800 baud.

SiRFDemo.exe, a windows utility from SiRF, will successfully change the
GPS from NMEA to SiRF.  Sometimes when trying to change back to NMEA,
the GPS gets into the "really confused" mode....  The manufacturer
provides not documentation/method/software to change the mode of the
GPS.....

Can someone supply some code, or a method to capture the raw data, when
the GPS is "really confused"?  I'd be glad to send the data for testing
with gpsd.