List:       gpsd-dev
Subject:    [Gpsd-dev] Supporting the MediaTek 3329
From:       Eric Raymond <esr () snark ! thyrsus ! com>
Date:       2011-02-27 23:27:33

I received your report on the FasTrax IT520U.  GPSD actually includes
code to support the MKT 3301, which may be upward-compatible to the
MTK 3329 - but our support was somewhat bit-rotted, with the firmware
versin query function not actually called anywhere.

I have fixed it up as best I can without a device to test against; pull head
from the git repo and look at drivers.c:975-1100. Unfortunately the manual
you pointed to does not specify the response to a $PMTK605 query, so we can't
be sure the 3329 returns the same $PMTK705 the 3301 did.

You wrote:
>If you push me into the right direction and give me some support maybe
>I could do the changes necessary, but if you added the commands and I
>tested it with my hardware it would probably be quicker.

We'd be delighted to cooperate with you.  We don't like having our
drivers bit-rot, but it's prone to happen if we don't have an active
user for the device type.  So welcome, active MTK user!

Here are the steps I suggest:

First, review that span of code against your documentation.  If there
have been changes in the required control sequences since the 3301 we
need to know it.  If there haven't, we'll change the driver name to
33xx or something.

Second, run the daemon at -D4 against your device, so you can see
LOG_PROG messages, and see if it switches drivers to MTK-3301.  If
it does, we're most of the way done; all you have to do is test
the speed, mode, and rate-changers.

If it doesn't switch, eyeballing the log ought to tell you
what the chip's response to $PMTK605 is.

I look forward to working with you on this.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power.
	-- Abraham Lincoln