List:       gpsd-dev
Subject:    Re: [Gpsd-dev] Holux GR240 also affected by the same firmware bug
From:       Andreas Maus <maus () ypbind ! de>
Date:       2007-08-22 20:34:11

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 02:12:56PM -0600, Chris Kuethe wrote:
> > So after 3 or 4 successfull connects to the Holux GR240
> > it is now "dead" like a GR236.
>
> ie. after 3 or 4 successful connects, gpsd tried to switch your
> receiver to binary mode....
Hmmm ... ok.
But using xxd on the established connection I didn't see
a reply. Not even a binary one.

Interesting enough gpsd used 9600,8N1 but the documentation states it
will (have to?) operate with 38400,8N1.

I tried other programs like "gps locator" on WinDOS PocketPC 5.1.195
there was a bluetooth connection but no data. But I dont know if it
tries to speak NMEA only or if they fall back to the binary mode.

I will try the programs shipped with this device on *shudder* Windows XP.
Maybe it will try the binary mode. May be it wont.

Anyway it seems that this is a problem with Holux devices using the
Sirf chipset. The M1000 (using MTK MT3318 chipset) is not affected
by this bug.

> > Was this bug reported to the Holux support ?
>
> Nope. It's not strictly a Holux problem either, though they use
> components that seem to exhibit this problem. I think whoever makes
> their bluetooth chip needs to be complained at. Then again, Holux
> probably just OEMs the board from some other vendor (like
> Globalsat)...
>
> > According to Holux Germany they are not aware of this problem.
> > But I have a contact (mail and phone) for a person for the
> > support of Holux Germany. So I can - and will - report this
> > issue (again ?) to Holux. I hope they will fix this issue.
>
> They may know of it, in the guise of "Do not use SiRFdemo to change
> the speed on the GPS". I've seen quite a number of forum posts where
> people have rendered their receivers inoperable because they switched
> the speed with SiRFdemo, so it's not just GPSD's fault. It's the usb
> or bluetooth interface that can't cope.
O.K. and I don't blame gpsd for that ;)

I will report that problem to Holux. I hope they will fix it
or at least report that problem upstream to their OEM providers
and get it fixed sometimes.

So long,

Andreas.

--
"Things that try to look like things often do
 look more like things than things. Well-known fact."