List:       gpsd-dev
Subject:    [Gpsd-dev] Patches and improvements: altitude/track/velocity jitter,
From:       robin () spade-men ! com (Robin L Darroch)
Date:       2006-04-06 5:25:01

OK - big subject line for what I think is a considerable collection
of improvements for gpsd.

1) Following on from the discussion of recent days (under the old
subject of "Altitude not always being reported"), I've now had time
to work on and test a patch for altitude/track/velocity reporting (as
posted a couple of days ago), which works well for me, and I would
appreciate if anyone else could report if they find problems with it.

2) Testing (1) turned up a behavioural bug in how libgps determined
mode from O or W responses (it regarded the presence of an altitude
value as determining whether or not the fix was 3D, which is
incorrect).  I've resolved that by extending the output of O by one
field (the last field is now the mode, exactly as reported by the M
command).

3) Working on (2) reminded me of a problem which I'd encountered
during early development of gpstoge, that libgps did not properly
parse the response to a compound query (e.g. "pavtm\n" as opposed to
"p\n" or "o\n").  This turned out to be a bug in the gps_unpack()
function in libgps.c ... which I believe I've resolved (tested
successfully with single and compound queries).

1 and 3 are essentially bug-fixes, however (as mentioned in my
previous e-mail) I'd appreciate feedback as to whether my resolution
of 2 seems reasonable/appropriate to everyone.  Bear in mind that
since I've modified both libgps.c and gpsd.c, there's no need to do
anything to make clients work with the new O output unless you've
manually written a parser for it for some reason... and even then, it
should work since it just extends the output by one field at the end.

Following this message will be the patches themselves, and following
that will be a small request for help! :)

Cheers,
Robin