List:       gpsd-dev
Subject:    [Gpsd-dev] Re: Cycle time and the jitter problem.
From:       remco () rvt ! com (Remco Treffkorn)
Date:       2006-04-05 21:46:26

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 14:38, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Robin L Darroch <robin@spade-men.com>:
> > I agree entirely.  Since I don't have commit access, would someone else
> > like to put the diff patches into the SVN repository?
> >
> > Full patch (for this particular set of issues) follows:
>
> Please don't anyone commit this yet.  The buffering/frames/jitter issue
> is more complicated than anyone here has yet realized -- trust me on
> this, I've grappled with it a *lot*.

I think nobody is even close to committing anything.
I realize the complicated nature of the issue, trust me ;-)

> (There is also some misinformation floating around as to what I actually
> did.  Remco, you weren't asleep.)

Would not have been the first time, but good to know that it's not a habit
yet.

> I agree we need to have a serious design discussion about this and
> aim at fixing it.  I'm not necessarily opposed to some form of buffering
> in the daemon (as long as it can be switched off) but the issue of
> how to do it and what constutes an appropriate buffering interval is
> nasty, nasty, *nasty*.

When the time comes...

> Unfortunately, I'm on an urgent, high-pressure, high-hourly-rate
> consultung job and I can't spare the bandwidth right now (and trust me
> again that if you knew what I was doing you would consider it more
> important anyway).

You had to say that! Now I am dieing to know... Damn you :-)

> I expect to be able to claw free some time Wednesday or Thursday next
> week, at which point my top priority will be to write a
> design-considerations essay replying to this entire thread.
>
> Until then, please have patience.

No problem.

Go make some bucks...

Cheers,