List:       gphoto-devel
Subject:    [gphoto-devel] question about gPhoto2
From:       Kucera Radim <kucera () nex ! tel ! cz>
Date:       2001-04-28 11:21:26

Hi there.
I would like to use gPhoto2 to get pictures out of digital camera Olympus
C-2040ZOOM. According to camera list it is supported, and if I connect it to
USB port, it is also autodetected (gphoto2 --auto-detect).
But.. there are some problems I don't understand.
The program is not able to get anything from my camera, instead of it writes
gp_open_port_usb failed and crashes down. (I have libUSB succesfully
installed, when I traced the program down by strace, I saw that gphoto is
using propper libraries - and of course the camera was autodetected! so it
should work).
My first question is: is it necessary to write which port to use in gphoto
parameter (I saw it was  looking through /proc/bus/usb and finds out, where
the camera is) ? And, it is using /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 or /dev/usb/tts/0 to
communicate? I am really not sure, if these depends on my own configuration,
but because I am already connecting JPILOT program on port /dev/usb/ttyUSB0
to backup my Handspring Visor PDA, I believe that these settings are
functional...
My second question, which is connected to my first question :) is: when I
write gphoto2 --list-ports, the output is:

usb: 	universal serial bus

...without any particular device. Maybe there lies the problem?

Well, I don't know, if my questions sounds clearly, but I hope they do. :)
I also hope, you will be able to give my at least some small advice :))

Yours sincerely,
Radim Kucera
Czech Republic